You can also use personal checks to withdraw funds from your own bank account if you don’t have other options, and you can cash a check made out to yourself at various check cashing centers.
Writing a check to yourself is very similar to writing a check to anyone else.
Sign the check on the signature line.
Where can I cash a personal check made out to myself?
Best Ways to Cash a Check
- Your Local Bank or Credit Union. The best place to cash a check is your personal bank or credit union.
- Visit the Issuing Bank.
- Walmart Check Cashing.
- Your Local Grocery Store.
- Gas Station Travel Centers.
- Transact by 7-Eleven.
- Endorse Your Check to a Friend.
- Cash Your Check Using an App.
Can I write a check to myself and cash it?
It isn’t unusual, and is perfectly legal, to write a check to yourself from one of your personal bank accounts to deposit in another. To do this, fill out the check as you normally would, naming yourself as the payee. You then can deposit the check into any of your other financial accounts that accept check deposits.
What happens if you write a check to yourself?
Absolutely nothing. It’s the equivalent of withdrawing and depositing the exact same money. A teller would hand your check right back to you. Anytime a check is presented to your bank for cashing it’s withdrawn from your checking account before it’s deposited anywhere, so there is no point to doing this.
How do I cash a personal check?
How to cash a check
- Visit a location that likely will accept the check. If you have a bank or credit union account, visit your institution’s branch or ATM.
- Endorse the check. Just before cashing the check, sign the back with your name on the line with the X.
- Have your ID or a debit card ready.